It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 am

Corrupt chairs first message to group, an errant one 
U.S. Army Veteran

Post Corrupt chairs first message to group, an errant one
From the newly elected group Chair (Eduardo), comes this incriminating "victory message" sent in private to the "posse". Conducting workgroup business in secret from other members is a violation of VFP's Statement of purpose which calls on members to be "open and democratic", and is an abuse of power.
Gordon

Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:32:21 -0800 (PST)
Local: Fri, Dec 24 2010 12:32 am
Subject: Heads up for Posse Members

Brother and Sister Posse Members,

I would first like to thank all of you who demonstrated at least some level of trust and support by voting for me to Chair this group. I hope I will be able to facilitate and strengthen the work I know many in this group have been hoping to carry out -- the kind of work and action that many joined this group to do.

Recognizing that we need to make many important changes fairly quickly in order for this group to become a fully functional working and acting group, my first action as the new Chair will be to call for a group meeting via telephone conference call to happen as soon as possible.

There are some important dates and anniversaries coming up quickly that I believe merit actions and responses from VFP and its chapters. Two of those are the initiation of Operation Cast Lead on December 27, 2009 (two years ago this coming Monday) by the Israelis -- which took the lives of over 1400 Palestinians in Gaza -- and the initiation of the ground invasion which commenced a few days later. We could possibly use these dates to raise public awareness of the current and ongoing bombing of Gaza and the possibility, discussed in the Israeli press, of a new major assault on Gaza.

If someone offered a motion tonight to suggest a statement or action for the anniversary of the initiation of Cast Lead, under the current rules no decision could be made on that motion until the end of the voting period on the morning of January 3rd -- when it would be too late.

The current rules which limit us to consideration of one motion at a time with a seven day discussion period and a three day voting period are inappropriate for this kind of group and can seriously hamper, if not cripple, our ability to carry out decisions and tasks in a timely manner.

One motion at a time may be appropriate for meetings where people are actually in a room together where a motion can be made, seconded, discussed and voted on in 30 minutes or less. But its obviously not appropriate for this kind of group. And it also offers the possibility and danger of one or two people being able to block our work for ten days at a time.

Within the structure of a conference call we can deal with things like making immediate changes to the rules under which we have been operating and agreeing on action plans to suggest to the national board and local chapters.

When we have decided on a date and time for a conference call meeting, I will send out an agenda which is the responsibility of the chair.

Here are some ideas that I know Jack would like to see considered:

Plan for National Board to announce the passage of Jacks very important resolution on Palestine-Israel-US issues passed at the last convention.

Recommendation of broad VFP distribution of the list of all Congressional reps who voted against the Goldstone Report along with Jack's copy of findings from their Exec Summary and a suggested list of proposed New Years resolutions to present to each. (ie I resolve to apologize to Richard Goldstone for slandering a UN report that I hadn't even read OR I resolve to never again violate the US Arms Export Control Act by voting for military aid to Israel)

Recommend that local teams in each district present these in person to their offices, in collaboration with other community activists when possible, during the Dec-Jan Cast Lead anniversary period, generating as much press coverage as possible.

Recommending text and strategies for such a press release.

And these are all things that should be acted upon quickly.

Please contact me quickly with your availability to participate in such a conference call between tomorrow (Xmas eve) and Monday. Sunday MAY be a good time for such a conference call.

I'll be sending a similar message out to the entire list tomorrow.

Be well.

And again, thanks for your trust and support. I hope I will be able to carry out my responsibilities as chair as you would want me to.

Sincerely,

Eduardo Cohen

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 pm
Profile WWW